Strawberries are just not tasty fruits but they have a lot to give you – surprises and health benefits. Let’s explore to find out what strawberry has in store for us with this list of interesting strawberry facts.
Strawberry’s botanical name is “Fragaria ananassa.”
Don’t go by the name berry. It is an aggregate accessory fruit i.e. here the ovaries don’t form the fruit but some other part of the flower becomes fleshy and not one but many such fleshy parts combine to form strawberry.
2. Strawberries are the only fruit that wear their seeds on the outside. The average berry is adorned with some 200 of them. No wonder it only takes one bite to get seeds stuck in your teeth.
3. Strawberry is a member of rose family and it is the only fruit which has seeds outside. It is the first fruit that ripens in the spring season.
4. The strawberry plant is a perennial. This means if you plant one now, it will come back next year and the following and the year after that. It may not bear fruit immediately, but once it does, it will remain productive for about five years.
5. Eat strawberries! It is good for your muscles, your brain, your heart, and it lowers BP, helps in preventing the development of cancer and even aids in improving cognitive processes.
6. Native Americans ate strawberries long before European settlers arrived. As spring’s first fruit, they were a treat, eaten freshly picked or baked into cornbread.