The combination of unique texture and sweet, tart flavor has made grapes an ever popular between-meal snack as well as a refreshing addition to both fruit and vegetable salads.
Grapes are small round or oval berries that feature semi-translucent flesh encased by a smooth skin. Some contain edible seeds while others are seedless. Like blueberries, grapes are often covered by a protective, whitish bloom. Grapes that are eaten as is or used in a recipe are called table grapes and as opposed to wine grapes (used in viniculture) or raisin grapes (used to make dried fruit).
1. Grapes appear in many colours. White, red, black, blue, green, purple and golden.
2. There are over 8,000 grape varieties worldwide.
3. The grape appears in the top ten of the world’s favourite fruits, along with tomatoes, mangos and bananas.
4. The USA imports 25% of their grapes from Chile.
5. Grapes are botanically classed as berries.They have a leathery covering and a fleshy inside, similar to blueberries.